Saturday 11 July 2009

One Postcard Quilt


Last week I had totally forgotten through not being very well that I had signed up for a postcard swap in June. I got a quite distressed email from a swap organiser on stitching fingers...

where was I? and that the poor lady up in the wilds of Scotland somewhere was upset for not getting a postcard from me. Quite rightly so...... I would feel the same. So for the next few days my needle went into action again working on some squares that didn't quite pass to use in the Summer Quilt blocks. After using coloursoft pencils and using textile medium fixer on top, I wasn't happy with as it made the pink too pink for my liking. I embroidered the stems in greens then cut out a small piece of wadding, adding a border in gingham fabric. Next I found some scraps of cream to fold round the edges and stitched on the back some thicker calico.

Hopefully the Scottish lady will like this and accept my letter of full apologies.

Two days ago, we received a wonderful box of donations of fabrics from Professor and Mrs Stainton towards the Scratch Quilt Project, making quilts to raise for the PDSA. I was thrilled and was totally surprised as I had not heard from anyone for months about this. Ive been having to do the projects on my own as I have not yet come across anyone else I'm my area willing to take part to add backing, hand quilt or ever enjoy putting a scrappy quilt together just like the welsh quilts. So many things are giving me ideas and it's exciting.

I hope everyone else will have some fun time to do quilt magic this weekend and have a nice weekend.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

That's a cute postcard quilt Faith, I'm sure your recipient will love it.

Jude said...

It's beautiful, you also have alot on your plate, so don't fret! We all forget something...

Beena said...

I think it's amazing all the work you do without a machine! In a pinch you had to come up with something, and all done by hand, so quickly. I'm in awe.

I haven't started my summer swap quilt, yet. Still don't know what I'm going to make. But I think I better get on it! Your story has a lesson in there for me!

Hope you are feeling better, even as I type this. I'm glad you are inspired and have lots of ideas to keep you in good spirits, and in the creative mood!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely sweet peas, what a nice postcard quilt. BFN. Lesley

Chris Daly said...

Lovely Postcard Faith. I'm sure when she receives this all will be forgiven.

Rachel said...

What a pretty postcard. I am sure anyone would be pleased to receive it.